Classifying the Caribbean's Coral
Despite coral reef’s rich contributions to people and marine life, scientists estimate that the Caribbean has lost 60 percent of its healthy coral in the past three decades. Conservation and restoration programs have been partly challenged by the lack of detailed maps of the region’s coral reefs and benthic habitats. An environmental nonprofit aims to help by using an eCognition-based mapping technique to create the first-ever, high resolution benthic-habitat maps of the Caribbean basin.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- From the Crown Down
- Classifying the Caribbean's Coral
- Returning the Great to the Great Barrier Reef
- Harvesting A Major Vegetation Map
- Answering the Call for 3D City Models
- Just the Citrus Trees Please
- Bringing Relief to Refugees
- Roads Drive Better Understanding of Urban Growth
- Bucking Tradition
- Complex by Nature